Undergoing surgery on your reproductive organs can be stressful and scary. Trust the highly respected OB/GYNs at Reston Women’s Center who have built their reputation on fast, minimally invasive, and successful surgeries to address your condition and promote a speedy recovery. If you live in Reston, Virginia or the surrounding area, take advantage of the practice’s skilled surgeons by calling the office or booking an appointment online.
"I've had the best experience here. Dr. Merriman is so very caring and knows how to put you at ease, plus she's super smart. All of the OBGYNs, midwives, and NP are excellent. Also, the staff is professional and responsive. After Dr. Merriman delivered my baby, she called me on the phone to check in on me. Literally nobody does that these days. The nurses have a lot of experience and call back right away."
Robotic Surgery Q & A
What is Robotic Surgery?
During robotic surgery, Dr. Neda Hashemi uses a robot-assisted surgical platform to perform delicate procedures. To perform your surgery, she stands at a console and uses its controls to maneuver robotic arms holding instruments. The robotic arm and wristed instruments have a greater range of motion as compared to the human hand and will not experience cramping or tremors.
The da Vinci® robotic system used at Reston Women’s Center is exceptionally intuitive, however, and can interpret the fine, skilled hand movements of the surgeon operating the robotic system. The da Vinci system keeps Dr. Hashemi in control at all times and provides a high-definition, 3D view inside your body.
What Types of Procedures are Performed Using Robotic Surgery?
Dr. Hashemi performs minor surgical procedures right in the office of Reston Women’s Center. The practice has two state-of-the-art rooms to offer you comfort and convenience. You can feel supported and safe when your surgery happens in the same location you’re familiar with for regular office visits.
The minor surgeries performed at the practice include:
- LEEPs to remove abnormal, potentially cancerous cells from your cervix
- Hysteroscopies to diagnose problems in the uterus
- Dilation and curettage (including post-miscarriage)
- Endometrial/uterine ablations
- E-sure, a sterilization procedure
- Myosure to address fibroids or polyps
- Episiotomy repairs
- Vulvectomy, usually to treat vulvar cancer
- Incision and drainage of any abscesses (such as minor Bartholin gland cyst drainage)
- Colposcopies for more in-depth examination of the cervix following an abnormal Pap test
- Labiaplasty to sculpt the skin around the opening of the vagina
What are the Benefits of Robotic Surgery?
Robotic surgery offers numerous advantages to the patient compared to conventional open surgery. These include:
- Faster recovery and shorter post-op hospitalization
- Reduced post-operative pain and discomfort
- Better surgical control and precision
- Minimal scarring
- Smaller incisions, which reduces the risk of infection
- Less blood loss and reduced need for transfusions
Call Reston Women’s Center or book a consultation online to learn more about state-of-the-art surgical procedures that offer faster recovery and minimal scarring.